How to find a real estate lawyer

June 20, 2012

Law Day

In Ontario, if you want to buy or sell a home, you are required to go through a lawyer as only licensed and insured real estate lawyers are entitled to register transfers of property. There is extra insurance required to practice real estate law in Ontario, and so not all lawyers can transfer property.

The Law Society of Upper Canada has a lawyer directory that you can use to determine if the lawyer you have in mind is real estate insured. Simply enter the person’s name, click on the search result, and see if they are marked as insured (you can see my entry by clicking here and entering my name).

Finding an individual lawyer is probably the trickier part. Most people will seek out referrals from their realtor or mortgage broker, or friends and family, which allows you to find someone who has been vetted by someone you trust.


About Cesia

Cesia is a real estate lawyer at Wall-Armstrong and Green, a boutique law firm in Barrie focusing on real estate and estates. When she's not online, she can usually be found in her garden.

View all posts by Cesia

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply